It’s almost over
I don’t think I’m alone in viewing December as a period of reflection. When a new year approaches, I often find myself looking back at where I’ve been and forward to where I want to be in another year’s time. As a glass-half-empty kind of gal, my natural inclination is to look at what I didn’t accomplish. But this year I’m trying a different approach. I’m looking at what I did get done so I can make measurable goals for 2014.
I’m going to take the next two weeks to make a road map for my writing. Twelve new months means twelve new writing goals. If I’m feeling fancy, I’ll work those down to weekly action steps. I’m a planner, so knowing where I want to be and having a rough sketch of how to get there is important to me. It keeps me accountable and focused.
But if that’s not you, if you’re more the fly by the seat of your pants, to heck with the resolutions type, then by all means do that. Don’t let the calendar bully you into something that doesn’t fit your work style. Whether writing is your dream job, your actual job, your hobby, or your time-filler, it’s up to you to decide how and where you’ll set your goals.
What lies ahead for you? Perhaps you’ll resolve to redesign your blog or comment on 10 posts every day. Maybe you’ll plan a weekly guest feature or commit to bringing on guest posters. Maybe you’ll boldly decide to share your fiction pieces over at the speakeasy. Perhaps you’ll add Saturdays to your posting schedule and join us on the moonshine grid. The possibilities are endless.
Let’s start a conversation. Did you hit a 2013 goal you’re especially proud of? Are you making big plans for next year? Tells us about it in the comments. Right after you submit your piece for this week’s challenge, that is.
Odds, ends, reminders
- The badge you will need to add to your planned submission is over in the sidebar
- This immediate past Sunday is the earliest your submission can be dated
- Your post can be no longer than 600 words
- Personal essays or traditional blog anecdotes only
- There are no weekly prompts; the topic is yours. Be compelling
- The grid is open from Tuesday at 12:01 a.m. to Wednesday at 11:59 p.m.
- There is voting. Voting will take place Thursday from midnight to 10:00 p.m. US eastern
- The challenge grid is limited to 50 bloggers
- The winners’ post will be published by noon on Friday
- No self-promotional posts are allowed on the yeah write grid, including those containing links to other blog events and Internet contests
Yeah write #140 is open…