Yeah write’s new social media goddess!
You’ve seen her around. She writes for all the grids. She comments like a fiend. She’s behind some of the witty tweets that hit your feed. Arden R has joined the yeah write team as social media editor. Are you on Facebook? Twitter? Google+? Instagram? We are everywhere, baby, and Arden is going to make sure you know it. Need to reach her? You can ping her at firstname.lastname@example.org, or just hit her up on one of the aforementioned networks. If you don’t already follow us, all the links are sitting there at the bottom of this post.
I promised more details. Well, here you go! This year, yeah write is focused on building a community of great writers. You’re already here: that’s a great start. But we know you want more. So this summer, we’re offering you the chance to refine your writing, get to know the other amazing writers around here, and support yeah write all at once.
It’s going to be just like summer camp. Come see what we’ve got planned!
Challenge winners round-up
All right: let’s pull our heads out of the summer series and get back to this week. In case you missed them, here’s a summary of all the #165 winners. Take a few minutes to check out the best of all the grids right here.
- Crowd favorite: Priscilla Queen of the Dessert at Whittling Harmony for Drowning in Guilt
- Top row: Priscilla plus Jenn Berney at Goodnight Already for Leaving Colorado Part 3: Long Stretch of Nothing
- Kevin the Kiwi: Alisa at Ice Scream Mama for Accidents and the Drive to Feel Pretty
- Comment Bob: Soapie at Searching for Substance
- Crowd favorites: #1 Karen at Fat Girl in Boxing Gloves for Magic Fingers; #2 Arden for Birds Flyin’ High; #3 Patricia at Existential Parenting and the Sunday Neurosisfor My Gold Hoops
- Editors’ pick: Meg at Pigspittle, Ohio for It’s a New Life
- Crowd favorite: Lance at My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog for Ragged Company
- Editors’ pick: Christi at Edit Moi for To My Kind Editor
- Top row seven: Lance and Christi, plus Karen at Fat Girl with Boxing Gloves for Seeking Grace; Angie at Angie Inspired for Ukelele; Christine at Trudging Through Fog for Blooding; Meg at Pigspittle, Ohio for Scandal; and Genna at writeamuck for did Grace say that, too.
- Hitchhiker’s prize: Creative Brevity for Kabul
Congratulations to all! Don’t forget: the moonshine grid is still open. Have something to add? Old posts and new are welcome. Go add yours, and while you’re there, visit your fellow yeah writers.
The ultimate question
This week’s question is brought to you by the bartender. We can’t wait to see where this one takes you. This week’s ultimate question is:
What’s that sound?
You’ve got a lot of room to play here. Let’s see if you can draw us in with the sound of your voice. Your voice. Stay true to yourself. Remember to think out of the box, and that you don’t need to include the question in your response. Give us your answer in 42 words. Here are a couple of guidelines:
- Do not mention anywhere in your post, either as intro or footnote, that you are writing to a prompt.
- We want the story the furthest away in your imagination from the original prompt. Let your imagination loose.
- Keep your writing style! Do you tell stories with humor? Prose? Verse? Photos? Illustrations? Keep doing that.
- Proofread. Just because it’s short doesn’t mean you can cut corners.
Make sure your answer stands alone. What do we mean? Write down the question. Write down your response. Now cover the question with your hand and read your answer out loud. Does it still make sense when you don’t know the question? That’s what we’re looking for.
The grid opens at midnight on Monday (that’s one minute after 11:59 PM on Sunday) and closes at midnight on Tuesday (that’s one minute after 11:59 PM on Monday). Yes, we give you only 24 hours to post, so you’d better get writing now! Come back to vote on Tuesday, and we’ll announce winners on Wednesday. Don’t forget to badge your post – the current gargleblaster badge is below.
There’s a lot going on around here lately. To make it simple, we’ll lay out the multi-grid schedule here:
- Sunday midnight: the gargleblaster prompt is announced in the kickoff post, and the speakeasy prompt is announced over at the speakeasy.
- Monday midnight: the gargleblaster grid opens for submissions.
- Tuesday midnight: the gargleblaster grid closes, and voting begins. The challenge grid and the speakeasy grid open for submissions. 10:00 PM: gargleblaster voting closes.
- Wednesday by noon: the gargleblaster winners are announced.
- Thursday midnight: the challenge grid and speakeasy grids close, and voting begins.10:00 PM:voting for both grids closes.
- Friday by noon: the challenge grid and speakeasy winners are announced, and the moonshine grid opens.
- Saturday and Sunday: moonshine grid is still open, writing, editing and rewriting happening for upcoming week!
Get your badges!
Below you’ll find the badges for yeah write challenge #166 and this week’s gargleblaster. Copy the code under the appropriate badge and paste it into the html or text view of your blog editor. Having trouble? Contact email@example.com for tech support.
<a href="https://yeahwrite.me/writing-challenge-166/"> <img src="https://yeahwrite.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/challenge166.png"> </a>
<a href="https://yeahwrite.me/gargleblaster-166/"> <img src="https://yeahwrite.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/gargle166.png"> </a>
New to yeah write?
Welcome! This is a special kind of place, and we hope you will dive right in. If this is one of your first visits to yeah write, please take a look at our page detailing how yeah write works. If you’re having trouble figuring it all out, feel free to email us, and we’ll help get you started along your way. We think this is the best community on the web for writers who blog and bloggers who write. We’re thrilled to have you join us.
yeah write #166 weekly writing challenge: the gargleblaster challenge is open