Are you ready to take off again? Yeah write is returning to its usual 3-grid + moonshine format, and we’re serving up gargleblasters all day long. If you’re looking for the fastest, craziest writing ride in the blogosphere, you’re in the right place. Many thanks to all of you who participated in the yeah write summer series and the supergrid! We hope you had a blast, and we’re excited to see what you learned over the summer.
In case you missed it, here’s a recap of all the summer writing topics:
The ultimate question
Lace up those sneakers – this week’s ultimate question is designed to get you moving.
What are we running for?
Remember that you don’t need to include the question in your response, but you do need to actually answer the question. At the same time, you want your piece to stand on its own. If your readers don’t understand your answer without knowing the question, you’re on shaky ground. Here are a couple of tips:
- Do not mention anywhere in your post, either as intro or footnote, that you are writing to a prompt.
- We want the story the furthest away in your imagination from the original prompt. Let your imagination loose.
- Keep your writing style! Do you tell stories with humor? Prose? Verse? Photos? Illustrations? Keep doing that.
- Proofread. Just because it’s short doesn’t mean you can cut corners.
On your mark, get set, GO!
Recipe for a proper gargleblaster
- Entries must be 42 words exactly. We count. (Tip: don’t trust your word processor – use your eyes!) Also: hyphenated words count as one (willy-nilly, self-centered, etc.).
- Non-fiction, fiction, and poetry are all welcome.
- Let your post speak for itself. If it needs an explanation, it’s not really 42 words, now is it?
- Link to the individual blog post, not your main blog page.
- Include the gargleblaster badge and accompanying backlink. Scroll down to get this week’s badge.
- One post per person, please, and no cross-posting to other link-ups. We want you all to ourselves!
Any submission deemed not to meet the guidelines will be removed from the grid and the author will be notified. Read the gargleblaster FAQ for more information.
The grid is now open, and will close at midnight on Tuesday (one minute after 11:59 PM on Monday).Yes, that’s only 24 hours to post, so you’d better get writing now! We’ll announce winners on Wednesday. Don’t forget to badge your post – the current gargleblaster badge is below.
Remember: the grid is limited to 42 (of course!) submissions. If you miss the grid, don’t panic! Leave your link in the comments of the voting post and you may be eligible for the hitchhiker prize, which may be awarded at the editors’ discretion to someone who missed the grid, but wrote up a particularly excellent response to the prompt. However, to be eligible for the hitchhiker’s prize, you’ve got to stick around for the whole ride, not just hop on, drop your link, and hop back off. After leaving your link, go forth and read, comment and vote on the grid as usual.
Please be sure to include the proper gargleblaster badge in your post. Not sure how to add the badge? It’s simple. Copy the code under the badge below and paste it into the html or text view of your blog editor. Having trouble? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for tech support.
<a href="http://yeahwrite.me/gargleblaster-176/"> <img src="http://yeahwrite.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/gargle176.png"> </a>
New to yeah write?
Welcome! This is a special kind of place, and we hope you will dive right in. If this is one of your first visits to yeah write, please take a look at our page detailing how yeah write works. If you’re having trouble figuring it all out, feel free to email us, and we’ll help get you started along your way. We think this is the best community on the web for writers who blog and bloggers who write. We’re thrilled to have you join us.