This is it! The end of November!
This is the final week of NaBloPoMo at yeah write. We’ve had a good time. Haven’t you? We look forward to having you all stick around to join us on the weekly challenge, speakeasy, and moonshine grids.
The yeah write weekly writing challenge goes on beyond November. This is the 137th consecutive week, including summers, holidays, hurricanes and super storms, we have brought this challenge to our readers without a single break in the action. This week, Hanukkah and American Thanksgiving, is no different.
We’d like to take a moment to thank all of you for your participation, your enthusiasm, your creativity, and your energy. Each of you plays a vital role here at yeah write: each week, you show up, you share your work, you support each other, and you help make this one of the best communities for writers on the internet. From all of us at yeah write, thank you.
Something old, something new, the yeah write vote tracker returns
Occasionally, we close the popular vote to only those willing to complete our vote-o-rama tracker for each entry. This is one of those weeks. The vote-o-rama tracker is our way of showing our readers and writers exactly what we’re looking for in a winning yeah write entry. Score each entry on the spreadsheet, and you will be surprised which stories are your top picks. We are going to take this week, maybe next, to get everyone on track: virgins, addicts, editors, lurkers, everybody.
Below are some screenshots. It’s a basic spreadsheet to keep track of what you’ve read and what you thought of it.
- Download the tracker
- Assign one point for each “yes” answer
- Add up your points for each entry, including your own if you’re on the challenge grid
- Make notes, if needed
- You can rank your top three to compare your original faves to your top three now based on artistic and technical merit
- Email Erica M your completed tracker by 10:00 p.m. Thursday, US eastern time
Our suggestion to you is to start reading the grid on Tuesday, filling in the spreadsheet with the very first post you read. If you wait until Thursday to blow through each post and then fill out the spreadsheet, you’ll likely run out of time before voting closes at 10 p.m. US eastern time. The easiest way is to score as you go. If each entry doesn’t have a score on your spreadsheet, we won’t be able to use it. We need each story read, each story scored.
Don’t want to vote by spreadsheet? No worries, you don’t have to. The popular vote will be determined by those who do. We are so laid back here at yeah write. We will never force you into doing anything you don’t want. You can still submit your own yeah write entry, read and comment on your faves, then enjoy your day as you wait out the results. Eat some extra sweet treats for us.
What about the invitational?
If the challenge grid hits 30 or more, the invitational will still open. A little old turkey and potatoes can’t shut down this train, so keep spreading the word about yeah write and let’s get as many wonderful stories as we can onto the challenge grid so the editors can do their thing and select a jury prize from everyone’s hard work.
Yeah write email support will be closed on Hanukkah/Thanksgiving until Monday, December 2
For the Hanukkah and the American Thanksgiving holidays then until December 2, each yeah write challenge editor will be unavailable to check and answer her yeah write email except for limited support. On Thursday, we will all be spending time with our families, then poring over the challenge grid for editor picks, so if you have a question needing an immediate answer, don’t ask a yeah write editor that day. You can always take your question to your yeah write friends on Twitter or Facebook and our community should do right by you. Some of them have been around for two years or more. You can also visit our 2012 summer writer’s series where the voting tracker was first introduced.
If you have questions about adding your entry to the challenge grid, this week or any week, Inlinkz customer service will be glad to help.
The editors will be back on Friday to announce winners (also for the moonshine grid and to close out NaBloPoMo over the weekend) and back in their email by yeah write #138.
Welcome to yeah write #137 weekly writing challenge
Odds, ends, reminders
- The badge you will need to add to your planned submission is over in the sidebar
- This immediate past Sunday is the earliest your submission can be dated
- Your post can be no longer than 600 words
- Personal essays or traditional blog anecdotes only
- There are no weekly prompts; the topic is yours. Be compelling
- The grid is open from Tuesday at 12:01 a.m. to Wednesday at 11:59 p.m.
- We are spreadsheet voting this week using our vote-o-rama tracker. If you are voting by tracker, download the tracker then email Erica M with it by Thursday 10:00 p.m. US eastern
- The challenge grid is limited to 50 bloggers
- The winners’ post will be published by noon on Friday
- No self-promotional posts are allowed on the yeah write grid, including those containing links to other blog events and Internet contests
Yeah write #137 is open…