Yeah write in action
Last week we highlighted seven writers from the best of yeah write grid, Michelle Longo among them. We already loved Michelle for showing up on time every week, for spreading the word about yeah write and for studiously applying our little writing tips to her own work. She has a closet full of winner’s badges to show for it. Michelle wrote in comments last week that when she went back to look at her best-of-grid post, she was horrified to see that it weighed in at a chunky 1,400 words. She has learned to tell a sleeker and more efficient story, to choose wisely and to edit ferociously She’s a better writer than she was a year ago and isn’t ashamed of saying so. That’s yeah write in action, y’all.
Challenge v. the speakeasy v. the invitational
The challenge grid is where we want to see your personal essays and traditional blog anecdotes. Choose moments and stories that will show off your writer’s voice, and come back to vote for your favorites on Thursday. If the challenge grid hits thirty submissions, the editors will add the best posts to an invitational grid and award a jury prize to the best of the best. Submit your short fiction and poetry over at the speakeasy. In the mood for anything goes? On Friday, the moonshine grid has just what you need.
Virgins, come on in
Welcome, virgins! Please read our beautiful new “how yeah write works” page and you’ll soon be cranking out yeah write posts like a veteran. The word count for a challenge grid post is 500 words and we’ll forgive an extra 100 if you must. Hint: your editors love shorter posts. Therefore the invitational grid loves shorter posts. Get it?
Grab your badges
Badges for both the challenge grid and the speakeasy are now available in the sidebar, right underneath the “be the first to know” yeah write email blast subscription box. They contain the codes needed to satisfy the backlink requirement of the Inlinkz app. Be sure to paste the code into the html-view of your post before publishing. Your post cannot be dated earlier than April 21st.
Odds, ends, reminders
- Your post can be no longer than 600 words
- Your post can be dated no earlier than April 21st, the day the yeah write #106 badges were officially posted
- The grid is open from Tuesday at 12:01 a.m. to Wednesday at 11:59 p.m.
- It is limited to 50 bloggers
- Voting will take place all day Thursday from midnight to Friday at midnight
- The winners’ post will be published at noon on Friday
- Our new weekend moonshine grid will open Friday at 6 p.m. and close Monday by 12:01 a.m.
- No self-promotional posts are allowed on the yeah write grid, including those containing links to other blog events and Internet contests
- Combining your yeah write post with other blog events meant to maximize your exposure and minimize your effort is a no-no
Bring us your best stuff. Bring your friends to read, write and vote. Yeah write #106 is open. . .