Is this your first time here?
Welcome! Please feel free to dive right in. Start here at Sunday’s post then click around for our FAQ and submission guidelines. We may seem like we’re all rules-y, but really we’re doing our best to create a fair and comfortable experience for everyone involved—-readers, writers, lurkers, voters. For the next few weeks, we’ve imposed a 500-word limit on your posts and, if you’re telling a compelling story without digressions and rambles, the limit should add value, not take any away.
Fiction? You’re over at the yeah write speakeasy
The speakeasy is the sister blog of yeah write. Fiction and poetry. Good peoples. Five hundred word limit. You gotta start with a provided opening line and reference the provided photo somewhere in your piece. The speakeasy is a close-knit community that would welcome your literary contribution with a round of applause, perhaps a standing ovation, you never know. Try it out.
Non-fiction, blog anecdotes, creative non-fiction? You’re here on the yeah write challenge grid
We don’t ask for much on the challenge grid. Only that you tell us a story containing a beginning, middle and an end. Don’t just list your day’s events. By the third “and then I…” we have stopped reading. We need a rise and fall in the action. We need a so what. Are you really gonna make us read our 1,006th blog post about some kid’s love of mac and cheese? Could be interesting, probably isn’t. But, wait—mac and cheese he’ll accept only when served a $100,000 Lafite thought to be owned by Thomas Jefferson: we are listening.
The post on the challenge grid receiving the most popular votes on Thursday will be awarded the crowd favorite. The other four bloggers on the top row will be awarded the top row five. How we vote and how we do not vote will be explained in the upcoming Thursday voting post.
Got any friends who’ve been meaning to try us out? Do they need a little push? If the challenge grid makes it to 30 posts or more, the invitational grid will open to yeah write editors adding their editor picks from those on the challenge grid and from the Internet-at-large. From the invitational grid will come the jury prize winner, our top writing award. Spread the yeah write word.
Happy 2nd birthday, yeah write! Birthday presents for you
Although we won’t be officially two years old until yeah write #104, we started handing out birthday gifts during #100. Gave away two more during #101. This week’s birthday gifts as we celebrate your writing, friendship and support:
- the novel The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi Durrow donated by yeah write editor Stacie
- the non-fiction book Microstyle: The Art of Writing Little by Christopher Johnson donated by yeah write editor Kristin Wald (but mailed by Erica M because Erica M accidentally has an extra copy in her magic closet from a previous promotion)
The random drawing is open to bloggers on either the challenge grid or over at the speakeasy AND the drawing is open to our readers and lurkers who send virgins to either grid this week. If you’re not on a grid this week, just let us know in the comments which new yeah write blogger belongs to you.
“Best of yeah write” coming soon
The editors are combing through 100 weeks of challenge grids to come up with a “best of yeah write” grid from 2011-2013, and we will showcase the selections during #104 and #105. If you’ve ever won a lurker’s favorite, editor’s pick, crowd favorite or jury prize, start waiting anxiously by your mailbox. If you’ve made the “best of yeah write” grid, we’ll send you a “best of yeah write” badge to display on your blog and an invitation to stop by to read what the editors enjoyed about each of their selections. We can’t wait.
Odds, ends, reminders
- Your post can be no longer than 500 words
- Your post can be dated no earlier than March 24th, the day the yeah write #101 badges were officially posted
- The grid is open from Tuesday at 12:01 a.m. to Wednesday at 11:59 p.m.
- It is limited to 50 bloggers
- Voting will take place all day Thursday from midnight to Friday at midnight
- The winners’ post will be published at noon on Friday
- Our new weekend moonshine grid will open Friday at 6 p.m. and close Sunday by 11:59 p.m.
- No self-promotional posts are allowed on the yeah write grid, including those containing links to other blog events and Internet contests
- Combining your yeah write post with other blog events meant to maximize your exposure and minimize your effort is a no-no
Bring us your best stuff. Yeah write #102 is open. . .